Cilantro triangles is a variation of the very popular dry snack of India called Farsi Puri or Mathari . It is made of all purpose flour with much amount of shortening in order to achieve the perfect texture that is crumbly and crunchy. Apart from the two basic ingredients such as flour and shortening, all the rest are adjustable and replaceable as per your taste, choice and creativity. Its shape is entirely your own world of creation.
- standard measuring cups and spoons
- 1½ cups all purpose flour / maida / refined wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt adjust quantity as per your taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder adjust quantity as per your taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, take flour, salt, black pepper and oil. mix really well.
- The mixture should look crumbly and should shape well when held tight in your feast. If this does not happen and the mixture does not look crumbly at all, understand that the oil added as shortening in it is not enough. Perfect amount of shortening is the key to this recipe. Too much shortening will make the triangles very oily and too little will make them hard.
- Add finely chopped cilantro to it.
- Make medium stiff and smooth dough using water as required. Cover and keep it aside for 15 min.
- Make equal size portions from the dough.
- Rolll one portion into medium thick rotli (like bhakhri). Cut triangles from it.
- See the thickness. Right thickness is important for the perfect texture.
- Prick the triangles using a fork.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying. Test the temperature after a while by adding a pinch of dough to it. The dough should immerse in the oil and emerge on the surface after a few seconds. Start adding a few triangles at a time in the oil. Fry the batch on medium to low heat while stirring occasionally until the triangles are light brown a nd they look crunchy.
- Drain oil from the triangles and remove them from oil. Place them on a kitchen towel. Fill them in an airtight container when they cool down completely.
- Replace cilantro with fenugreek leaves
- Can sprinkle chat masala after frying.
- Can make this into different shapes such as diamonds, circles, twists, strips and so on.
- Roll a circle, apply ghee and sprinkle flour on top and then fold it like a triangle to make layered triangls.
- Sprinkle chat masala or your favourite spices instead of flour mentioned in point no. 4.