Hariyali Paneer Tikka & Paneer Tikka BBQ
Now you do not have to visit a restaurant to enjoy Paneer Tikka. Follow this easy recipe of making it right at home and satisfy your craving for the taste of restaurant. I promise you will receive numerous complements on this dish.
Hariyali Paneer Tikka & Paneer Tikka BBQ
- BBQ sticks
- non-stick flat pan or a grill pan
- 1 cup curd (Indian plain yogurt)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (skip if the curd is sour or adjust quantity depending on the sourness of the curd)
- 1/4 tsp salt (adjust quantity as per your taste)
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp roasted gram flour (also called chickpea flour / chana flour) (dry roast in a pan over low flame till it releases its aroma)
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
Hariyali Paneer Tikka marination
- 1 handful of coriendar leaves
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt as required
- 5 pieces green chillies (adjust quantity as per your taste)
Paneer Tikka BBQ marination
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust quantity as per your taste)
- 1 tsp BBQ masala
Vegetables and Paneer
- 400 grams Paneer cubed in big pieces (check note section for the guidance on its ideal size)
- 1 piece green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- mustard oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 piece lemon cut into wedges
- 1/4 tsp chat masala
- 1 tsp kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- Combine ingredients for basic marination.
- Gently fold and combine. Divide it into two equal portions.
- Combine ingredients for the Hariyali Paneer Tikka marination in a mixer jar. Grind and make smooth paste. Add it in one portion of the basic marination and mix well.
- Add half the amount of paneer cubes and veggies in this marination. Lightly fold and combine everything well ensuring that the paneer is well quotted and that it does not break while mixing. Keep aside.
- Combine ingredients for Paneer Tikka BBQ marination to the remaining portion of the basic marination. Combine everything well.
- Add remaining paneer cubes and veggies to this marination. Lightly fold and combine everything well ensuring that the paneer is well quotted and that it does not break while mixing. Keep aside.
- Now take the BBQ sticks, and start passing it through the veggies and paneer. Start and finish with the hardest veggi (capsicum) in order to hold paneer firmly in between. Veggies should be tightly close to each other. Be very gentle. Keep the two types of Paneer tikka seperate.
- Photo of Paneer Tikka BBQ on a BBQ stick.
- Place a non-stick flat pan (preferably a grill pan ) on high flame. On the pan , take some mustard oil. Bring it to a smoking point. Then add some butter. DO NOT USE DHOSA PAN BECAUSE THE OIL/BUTTER ROLLS DOWN TO THE SIDES.
- Place one of the two types of the Paneer tikka sticks. Brush some butter over it.
- Grill evenly on all sides. Repeat the procedure for the second type of paneer tikka sticks. DO NOT GRILL BOTH THE TYPES TOGETHER IN THE SAME PAN. I made that mistake and the flavours got mixed up during the grilling process. If you want to add tandoori flavour to your paneer tikka, you can arange the sticks in a serving plate. Place a small bowl with two live pieces of charcoal in it. Pour a tsp of butter on the charcoal and quickly cover the plate. Keep it aside for about 10 min.
- Place Paneer tikka in a serving plate. Squeeze lemon over the grilled veggies, sprinkle the seasoning and serve hot with onion- cabbage salad.
- Achari Paneer Kabab : add a heaped tsp of mango achar (from Mother’s Recipe Brand) an 1/4 tsp turmeric powder to the basic marination.
- Kesari Paneer Kabab / Saffron Paneer Tikka : dry roast a few strands of saffron on very low flame till they release aroma. Add them in the basic marination along with a drop of orange food colour.
- You may cook it directly over high flame of a gas stove (could be a bit messy though)
- It is also possible to grill it over charcoal flame. Light charcoal in a coal stove. Place a rack on it. Arrange BBQ sticks on the rack and grill evenly on all sides.
- To make it in the oven : Pre-heat oven at 220c. Take a baking tray, place a cooling rack on it and then arrange the paneer tikka sticks on the cooling rack. Slide it in the oven and bake till panner cubes look cooked.
Choice of Paneer.. Paneer must be fresh and tender, yet firm. Too dry and crumbly paneer will be impossible to skewer and will not taste good. Temperature control while cooking… Always cook on high flame. Our aim is to cook the surface of the paneer and the veggies. Infact allow the surface to burn a bit. It gives the nice taste of tandoor. Cooking on low heat will lead to overcooking which will make the paneer chewy.