Kurkure means crunchy. 'Kurkure' is a brand of crunchy corn puffs which is very popular all over India. It is a very tasty snack, equally loved by children and adults both. Here is a recipe of homemade Kurkure which is equally crunchy and tasty and irresistable, but more hygienic and healthier than the market brand.
- standard measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup rice any variety
- 2 tbsp chana flour also called besan, gram flour or chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot (also called araroot) / wheat flour / all purpose flour ( also called maida)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pinch soda bi carb
- 1 cup water
- oil for frying
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 sachet maggi masala (the tastemaker from maggi noodles)
- 1 tsp tomato powder
- Combine spices for taste maker.
- Dry roast rice on very low heat just till they feel warm.
- Grind them to powder. It will feel a bit coarse like very fine sooji.
- Combine all the ingredients for Kurkure in a thick bottom kadhai. Make it smooth and lump-free.
- Add water.
- Mix it thoroughly till the mixure gets lump-free
- This is how the mixure should look.
- Place the kadhai on very low heat. Cook while stirring continuously. You will see the texture changing from watery to thick to lumpy
- Thick texture
- Lumpy texture
- Cover and steam the mixture for 3-5 min till it gets close to dough constistancy(still quite loose as it gets hard as it cools).
- Knead a bit with oily palms when ready
- Heat oil for frying. Meanwhile, take a small marble size portion of dough in your hand. Roll it long and evenly thin between your palms.
- Gently press the roll on your fingers to give it the uneven design as shown in the pic.
- Prepare kurkure enough for a batch atleast.
- When the oil is moderately hot(not at the smoking point), start adding them in oil. Turn the heat to the lowest while frying.
- Each batch takes around 5-7 minutes to cook thoroughly and get crunchy.
- Kurkure should look golden brown and crunchy inside out when ready. Remove from oil.
- Sprinkle and mix the spice mix.
- Prepare all the other batches likewise. Transfer and store them in an airtight container when they cool down completely.
frying them on the right temperature is extremely important.