Spring onion & Potato stir-fry
Take full benefit of winter greens by making this quick and easy Spring onion and Potato Stir-fry that can be combined with chapati/puri/naan/rotala/rice or can be consumed as it is! It is a type of Indian sabzi, however you can make it evenif you have none of the Indian spices. How amazing that is!
Spring onion & Potato Stir-fry
Spring onions are an excellent source of vitamin C and dietry fibre. Some research suggests that they may lower cholesterol levels, decrease the risk of heart attacks and strokes and have antibacterial and anti fungal properties (source of information : Google). This delicious Spring onion and Potato stir-fry is one of the best ways to take full benefit of this vegetable. And the beauty of this recipe of Spring onion & Potato sabzi is that you can add as little or as much spices as you want and it will taste yummy in any case. So, without further delay, let me show you how to make Spring onion & Potato stir-fry.
- non-stick pan
- 2 cups chopped spring onions (details of cleaning and chopping is given in the recipe steps)
- 3 medium size potatoes (chop in very small size cubes for faster cooking)
- 1 mexium size tomato chopped
- 2 pieces green chillies chopped (optional OR adjust quantity as per your taste OR can be replaced with chilli powder)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt (adjust quantity as per your taste)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional OR adjust quantity as per your taste OR can be replaced with green chillies)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
Cleaning and chopping spring onions
- Remove the top part with roots from all the spring onions.
- Remove thick looking very dark green leaves by pulling them upwards to remove the entire layer of the leaf. Such leaves are overgrown and hence they are difficult to cut/chew.
- Remove any unhealthy looking leaves and the tips at the end.
- This is how a cleaned spring onion looks like.
- Wash and chop them finely. Remove the part that does not get cut (usually the part towards the end is like that)
Cooking the stir-fry
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan or a thick bottom pan. Crackle cumin seeds till they are light brown. Add asafoetida powder.
- Add turmeric powder and green chillies.
- Add potatoes, salt and combine everything. Cover and cook on very low heat till the potatoes are tender ( 90% cooked ). Stir in between to avoid scorching and over cooking. Add spring onions.
- Also add tomatoes and chilli powder.
- Combine everything well.
- Cover and cook tilll the tomatoes and spring onions are tender and the potatoes are fully cooked. Cook without a lid for a minute or two or until the oil oozes.
- Serve hot with roti/puri/paratha/rice or enjoy it as a single dish like salad.
2 thoughts on “Spring onion & Potato stir-fry”
indeed! I can eat a full bowl without any rice or rotli.