Spring onion & Potato stir-fry
Take full benefit of winter greens by making this quick and easy Spring onion and Potato Stir-fry that can be combined with chapati/puri/naan/rotala/rice or can be consumed as it is! It is a type of Indian sabzi, however you can make it evenif you have none of the Indian spices. How amazing that is!
Spring onion & Potato Stir-fry
- non-stick pan
- 2 cups chopped spring onions (details of cleaning and chopping is given in the recipe steps)
- 3 medium size potatoes (chop in very small size cubes for faster cooking)
- 1 mexium size tomato chopped
- 2 pieces green chillies chopped (optional OR adjust quantity as per your taste OR can be replaced with chilli powder)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt (adjust quantity as per your taste)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional OR adjust quantity as per your taste OR can be replaced with green chillies)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
Cleaning and chopping spring onions
- Remove the top part with roots from all the spring onions.
- Remove thick looking very dark green leaves by pulling them upwards to remove the entire layer of the leaf. Such leaves are overgrown and hence they are difficult to cut/chew.
- Remove any unhealthy looking leaves and the tips at the end.
- This is how a cleaned spring onion looks like.
- Wash and chop them finely. Remove the part that does not get cut (usually the part towards the end is like that)
Cooking the stir-fry
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan or a thick bottom pan. Crackle cumin seeds till they are light brown. Add asafoetida powder.
- Add turmeric powder and green chillies.
- Add potatoes, salt and combine everything. Cover and cook on very low heat till the potatoes are tender ( 90% cooked ). Stir in between to avoid scorching and over cooking. Add spring onions.
- Also add tomatoes and chilli powder.
- Combine everything well.
- Cover and cook tilll the tomatoes and spring onions are tender and the potatoes are fully cooked. Cook without a lid for a minute or two or until the oil oozes.
- Serve hot with roti/puri/paratha/rice or enjoy it as a single dish like salad.