Sukhdi is an Indian sweet that has high nutrition value, especially for growing children. Here is a very easy recipe with perfect measurement and step by step detailed verbal as well as pictorial explanation. Check it out !
Sukhdi is very popular from 'Ghantakarna Temple' in Mahudi, Gujarat, India. It is offered to God daily and then distributed among the visitors in the temple. Steaming hot, melt-in-mouth sukhdi surrounded with ghee tastes out of this world ! The method of making sukhdi is very simple and it requires only 3 ingredients, but there are high chances of missing out on the desired texture if the recipe is not detailed enough. That's the reason why I have tried to give you minute details in the recipe to minimize that unwanted chance.It tastes best when consumed warm, so cook it 20-25 minutes before the eating time.
- 1 cup wheat flour (not refined flour/maida)
- 1 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup or little less jaggery
- Melt ghee in a thick bottom pan. Add flour.
- Combine and roast on very low flame while stirring continuously. This is a very important step as an entire texture and quality of sukhadi depends on this step. Stir and roast till the flour turns brown (almost as dark as milk chocolate) and leaves a nice aroma. Do not burn it.
- See the change of colour in the pic .
- Remove it from heat. Continue to stir for another 3-4 minutes while it's on the counter. Then add jaggery. You may need to slice your jaggery if it is too hard.
- Stir continuously and you will see the texture changing from liquid to semi solid.
- See the semi solid texture.
- Take it out in a greased tray when it reaches the semi solid consistency as in above pic.
- Press it gently to spread it evenly all around the tray.
- It should look as smooth and evenly spred as shown in the pic here.
- It will set in less than 10 minutes. Run a cutter through or use a spetula to make pieces.
- Make pieces of desired shape and size.
- look at its perfectlymoistured, smooth and crumbly texture ! yummmm!It tastes best when consumed warm, so cook it 20-25 minutes before the eating time.